About Dr Khoza
Specialist Dermatologist - Durban Skin Doctor
Dr Nokubonga Khoza is specialist dermatologist in private practice in Durban. She graduated from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine in 2003. She obtained her Fellowship from the College of Dermatologists of South Africa in 2011. She has worked extensively in the field of dermatology at all major Durban hospitals.
She is currently an honorary Consultant and Lecturer at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, as well as facilitates the International Exchange Office and Program for the Department of dermatology..
In 2014, Dr Khoza established South Africa's first Immunobullous Disease clinic at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Hospital and currently runs this on a weekly basis. She has published articles in peer-review journals as well as contributed chapters in dermatology textbooks on permanent hairloss, melasma, pigmentation, skin lighteners, skin infections and autoimmune bullous disease.
She is an active member of the Dermatology Society of South Africa and has presented at local and international congresses.
Her leadership skills, dedication and clinical performance has earned her the honour of serving in key organizational structures within Dermatology.
She is currently on the executive committee of the following:
- Secretary and founder member of the Women's Dermatologic Association of South Africa (AWDS)
- Executive Committee Member of the Dermatology Society of South Africa (DSSA)
- Executive Committee Member of the South African Society of Dermatologic Surgery (SASDS)
- Founder member of the South African Epidermolysis Bullosa Interest Group (SAEBIG)
She is a member of the following International societies:
- Womens Dermatologic Society, International (WDS)
- Dermatologic & Aesthetic Surgery International League (DASIL)
- Skin of Color Society
- International Society of Dermatology (ISD)
Amongst her many achievements, Dr Khoza has received a number of prestigious awards and accolades:
- Janssen - Foundation Research Award Medal from the College of Medicine of South Africa ( Part 1,Examination), Awarded to graduates with outstanding academic excellence.
- She was the inaugural recipient of "L'oreal African Hair and Skin Research Grant' in the African continent, 2014
- UKZN CHS Masters and Doctoral Scholarship ,
- The International Society of Dermatology Global Scholarship Award
- NRMSM – Consultant of the month (multiple occasions)
Her special research interests are:
Pigmentation & Hair Disorders
Acne & Scar Management
Skin Cancer Management
HIV and The Skin
In the community
Dr Nokubonga Khoza, born and bred in Umlazi, finds satisfaction and a sense of pride servicing the Durban community through Durban Skin Doctor. She gives off her time Freely educating the public on the commonest skin conditions that dermatologists see and is featured regularly on local radio stations and newspapers.
She believes knowledge is power and is key in making safe and healthy choices when it comes to skin health.
A philanthropist at heart, Dr Nokubonga Khoza believes in giving back to the community and continues to dedicate a good portion of her time in doing so. She continues to work with numerous organizations that are in line with her passions.
She has her own project SkinLabb that aims to :
- Promote health education and increase awareness in skin diseases in less fortunate communities.
- Empower individuals especially women to make informed skin, hair and nail care choices
- Encourage skin innovations that are affordable and accessible to the general populations.